Sunday, December 18, 2022

The Kingdom of God

Being Sunday, I have a brief article today. My thoughts were spurred by a post I saw on Facebook. The entry contained a quote from R. C. Sproul.

“The kingdom of God is not of the people, by the people, or for the people. It is a kingdom ruled by a King, and God does not rule by the consent of His subjects but by His sovereign authority. His reign extends over me whether I vote for Him or not.”

What a tremendous statement teaching the sovereign rule of our great God! With humility I would add just a few more words to Dr. Sproul’s final sentence.

“His reign extends over me whether I vote for Him or not or whether I believe in Him or not.

I know some people who were raised in the church, professed Christ, were baptized, then strayed and now confess they do not believe God’s Word, nor do they believe there is a God. Obviously, they were never born again. These are true apostates, always separated from God and will be forever separated from Him unless they repent and trust Christ.

Learning of such a betrayal causes me to ponder why. What could have led to this complete denial? Well, it’s their sinful nature. Though they knew God’s truth, they never surrendered to Him or His Word. But why do they remain so firmly against God now? They are comfortable living in their sin, know, from their earlier teaching, it is sin, but enjoy that sin so much, the only way they can continue to live is to deny it is sin. And, to accomplish that trick, they must deny the Word and even deny God’s existence.

Oh, my prayer is that Christ have mercy on them over this Christmas season. May the Spirit draw them back towards the Lord and may they finally and completely repent of their sin and turn to Christ in true saving faith.

 May the Lord Jesus be exalted for His life, His death, His resurrection, His ascension, His forever reign as a merciful, gracious, and just King!

 



No comments: