Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Stonewall Jackson is 185 Today

January 21, 2009 marks the 185th birthday of one of the most famous Confederate generals of the War between the States, Stonewall Jackson. More importantly to me, Jackson was a devout Christian and one of my "heroes of the faith". To honor this man today, I thought I would simply post one of the letters he wrote. This letter, quite typical among the letters we have from Jackson, clearly reveals his devotion to our Lord. May God send us many more leaders such as this man.

The letter was written to Rev. Dr. Francis McFarland. Dr. McFarland was a pastor near Greenville, Virginia as well as a trustee of Washington College in Jackson's town of residence, Lexington, Virginia. He also served in the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church of the Confederate States of America. Dr. McFarland and Jackson exchanged several letters during the war. He also had three sons who served in the Confederate army.

July 31st, 1862
My dear Doctor,

I am very grateful to you for your prayers to God for the success of the operation which God has entrusted to me. Please continue to pray for me and for the success of the troops entrusted to me. It cheers my heart to think that many of God's people are praying to our very kind Heavenly Father for the success of the army to which I belong. Without God's blessing I look for no success, and for every success my prayer is, that all the glory may be given unto Him to whom it is properly due. If people would but give all the glory to God, and regard his creatures as but unworthy instruments, my heart would rejoice. Alas too frequently the praise is bestowed upon the creature. Whilst we must not forget the superior importance of spiritual victories, yet I trust that you will under God's direction do what you can in securing the prayers of His people for the success of our arms, especially for the success of them which are entrusted to me, an unworthy servant, but who desires to glorify His name even in my present military calling. My trust is in God for success. Praying for a continuation of your usefulness I remain your much attached friend

T. J. Jackson

No comments: