At the outset let me say I am NOT a big fan of Chick-Fil-A's product. This is primarily because it's CHICKEN! Nevertheless, my wife and I frequent one of their restaurants roughly once a week because she does love it. Furthermore, now that one of my daughters works for this company, we have an additional motivation to support them.
Everyone is well aware of the recent bashing of this food chain because of the "traditional marriage" support statement given by one of their leaders. The political left and the gay community are outraged at such a stance to the point that various city governments are announcing they will not permit this chain from building another restaurant in their community. I have also heard that some east coast college wants to have the on-campus Chick-Fil-A removed!
So, I thought I would add a few comments on this issue. I suspect some or all of these have been voiced elsewhere but I want folks to know where I stand.
1. If you are left wing or gay and are offended at Chick-Fil-A's stance on traditional marriage then simply stop eating at their restaurant. What you are demonstrating is the very intolerance you accuse the right wing of possessing. No one is forcing you to go to a Chick-Fil-A. In fact, you don't even have to drive by one.
2. I can further assure our left wing friends that Chick-Fil-A employees have never said a word to me about marriage when I visit their facility. No weddings are taking place. No marriage counseling is being offered. "It will be my pleasure" to refill my drink is the extent of the communication. Who, may I ask, is being offended by that?!
3. How would my left wing friends feel if some conservative mayor announced there would be no further permits for Target stores in their city since that company supports gay marriage? I KNOW how they would feel: OUTRAGED! The ACLU would run to their side and slap a lawsuit on that city immediately.
4. This whole affair is certainly distracting the public from the economy and our rising taxes which, of course, is exactly what the left wants. As long as the attention is focused on Chick-Fil-A, it is not focused on President Obama's many failures as a President. The public needs to keep its eyes on ALL the problems we have in our nation, many caused under this President, many others further aggravated by his administration.
5. While "Chick-Fil-A" sounds like a tempest in a teapot, it should greatly disturb the church. What happens if my church and I decide to plant a new church in the heart of Mayor Rahm Emanuel's Chicago? We STRONGLY support traditional marriage and OPPOSE gay marriage. Is the good mayor going to exclude us as well? Such a stance by government on a restaurant chain could severely impact the propagation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ even in the United States of America!
6. Finally, the threats from the left wing politicians in cities such as Chicago, Boston, and San Francisco is also reminiscent of what took place in Germany in 1933. Adolf Hitler became chancellor of Germany on January 30. On March 23, the Enabling Act was passed and on April 1 Hitler declared a boycott of Jewish stores across Germany. It didn't take long to drive the Jews from their stores and to prevent them from opening new stores.
This is a very dangerous time for our country. May God grant us wisdom as we select our leaders in November. And may He forgive us for our many sins and once again pour out His grace and His Spirit upon this land.